26 September 2014
BANJUL – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of €400, 000 (US$520, 000) from the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO) to help implement a cash transfer programme in the Central River Region of The Gambia.
1 July 2013
BANJUL – The Government of The Gambia, the EU Delegation in The Gambia, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) launched the Millennium Development Goal 1c Initiative - Improving food security through crop production intensification and school feeding in targeted regions.This three-year food security project worth 7.6million Euros, is funded by the European Commission while FAO and WFP will provide technical assistance to the Government of The Gambia as implementing agencies.
18 June 2013
BANJUL – The Government of The Gambia, the United Nations agencies, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) launched the Millennium Development Goal 1c Initiative (improving food security through crop production intensification and school feeding in targeted regions). This is a four - year development project whereby FAO and WFP will provide technical assistance to the Government.
20 September 2012
BANJUL – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) received a donation of 5,000 metric tons of rice from the Government of Brazil towards its emergency operations in the Gambia.
29 March 2012
BANJUL – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) in Gambia announced today it will provide immediate food assistance to 62,500 people in the areas most affected by the recent drought.
6 October 2011
Members of an Austrian women’s group, Soroptimist International Austria, raised €42,000 in a single day’s fundraising event for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) school meals programme in The Gambia.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa: After the drought, floods - and harvest worries Source: IRIN
- The Gambia PRRO 200557 Targeted Nutrition and Livelihood Support for Vulnerable People Impacted by Floods and Drought: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Seasonal Monitor