20 July 2010
Rome – Josette Sheeran, the Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will begin a fact-finding visit this week to four African nations where the agency is undertaking the full spectrum of its humanitarian work ranging from emergency food assistance in Niger to distribution of cash and vouchers in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and support for small farmers in its Purchase for Progress initiative in Uganda.
24 June 2010
As WFP in Uganda launches a livelihoods programme to help find lasting solutions to hunger in the Karamoja region, Japan, Spain, Italy and Norway donate US$5.2million.
13 April 2010
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is changing the way it does business in Uganda’s drought-prone Karamoja region, with the launch of an emergency operation next week, alongside a new programme designed to better address the underlying causes of food shortages and malnutrition.
16 December 2009
COPENHAGEN – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today launched a pilot project to provide fuel-efficient stoves to women in Sudan and Uganda, to reduce the risk of violence they run while gathering firewood and at the same time protect the environment.
24 November 2009
JOHANNESBURG – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of R3 million (US$400,000) from the Government of South Africa, which will help the agency to feed thousands of hungry families in the Horn of Africa region.
19 November 2009
ROME – Spain’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Soraya Rodriguez Ramos, today announced a donation of €75 million (US$112m) to the United Nations World Food Programme in response to the critical hunger situation in the Horn of Africa.
29 September 2009
9 June 2009
3 July 2008
The award-winning Internet word game FreeRice has revealed a surprising staying power as a web phenomenon and six months after its birth has now generated 21 billion grains of rice for the world’s hungry.
23 January 2008
A record 80 percent of the food purchased for cash last year by the world’s largest humanitarian organisation – a total of 2.1 million metric tons valued at more than US$760 million – was bought in developing countries from Afghanistan to Zambia.
- Analysis: From emergency aid to early recovery in northern Uganda Source: IRIN
- Guns and hunger : How Karamoja escaped the Horn of Africa drought Source: The East African
- Uganda Leader Pledges Higher Food Production Source: The Wall Street Journal
- Hunger: harder times predicted for Uganda Source: The Observer (Uganda)
- Increased food prices: 8m Ugandans sleeping hungry Source: New Vision
- 12 February 2014 Family Flees To Uganda To Escape Violence In South Sudan
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 24 July 2013 WFP Reaches 15,000 New Congolese Asylum Seekers
- 18 June 2013 The Cost Of Hunger In Africa