10 September 2007
WFP warns that disaster looms for hundreds of thousands of Ugandans hit by floods if the agency’s appeal for assistance is not answered quickly.
29 June 2007
The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) on Friday welcomed US government contributions in June totaling $62 million to feed people confronting humanitarian crises across 13 countries in Africa and one in Asia.
31 May 2007
The Government of Uganda and WFP have announced that they have agreed to resume tomorrow WFP humanitarian operations in the drought-affected Karamoja region of northeastern Uganda.
29 May 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme said today that gunmen ambushed a WFP convoy in the Karamoja region of northeastern Uganda, killing a WFP driver and forcing the agency to suspend temporarily its operations in the drought-hit region.
14 May 2007
Yesterday saw hundreds of thousands of people in around 100 countries step out with WFP, to call for an end to child hunger.
17 April 2007
WFP said today that a shortage of contributions has forced it to cut food rations for 1.28 million people driven into camps from their homes during a 20-year rebellion by the Lord\'s Resistance Army.
5 April 2007
WFP has welcomed a donation of €8.5 million (US$ 11.5 million) from Ireland, noting that the cash – which can be used across a broad range of WFP operations, from emergencies to relief and recovery – will enable WFP to deliver food swiftly and flexibly, including to those who risk being forgotten by the rest of the international community.
16 March 2007
Constrained by a critical lack of funds, WFP has said it would be forced from the beginning of April to cut by half food rations for nearly 1.5 million displaced people and refugees in Uganda.
2 June 2006
WFP together with Straight Talk Foundation have launched an initiative to plant 230 acres of trees in Teso, northern Uganda and Karamoja, as well as supply Tree Talk newspaper along with tree seed to 18,000 schools countrywide in 2006.
21 February 2006
As the media and the humanitarian community focus on the spreading drought in the Horn of Africa, WFP is deeply concerned that more attention is needed to highlight the persistent problems faced by the world’s refugees – most of them in Africa.
- Elimination of hunger in our lifetime can be a reality Source: The Irish Times
- Analysis: From emergency aid to early recovery in northern Uganda Source: IRIN
- Guns and hunger : How Karamoja escaped the Horn of Africa drought Source: The East African
- Uganda Leader Pledges Higher Food Production Source: The Wall Street Journal
- Hunger: harder times predicted for Uganda Source: The Observer (Uganda)
- 12 February 2014 Family Flees To Uganda To Escape Violence In South Sudan
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 24 July 2013 WFP Reaches 15,000 New Congolese Asylum Seekers