29 May 2007
The United Nations World Food Programme said today that gunmen ambushed a WFP convoy in the Karamoja region of northeastern Uganda, killing a WFP driver and forcing the agency to suspend temporarily its operations in the drought-hit region.
14 May 2007
Yesterday saw hundreds of thousands of people in around 100 countries step out with WFP, to call for an end to child hunger.
17 April 2007
WFP said today that a shortage of contributions has forced it to cut food rations for 1.28 million people driven into camps from their homes during a 20-year rebellion by the Lord\'s Resistance Army.
5 April 2007
WFP has welcomed a donation of €8.5 million (US$ 11.5 million) from Ireland, noting that the cash – which can be used across a broad range of WFP operations, from emergencies to relief and recovery – will enable WFP to deliver food swiftly and flexibly, including to those who risk being forgotten by the rest of the international community.
16 March 2007
Constrained by a critical lack of funds, WFP has said it would be forced from the beginning of April to cut by half food rations for nearly 1.5 million displaced people and refugees in Uganda.
2 June 2006
WFP together with Straight Talk Foundation have launched an initiative to plant 230 acres of trees in Teso, northern Uganda and Karamoja, as well as supply Tree Talk newspaper along with tree seed to 18,000 schools countrywide in 2006.
21 February 2006
As the media and the humanitarian community focus on the spreading drought in the Horn of Africa, WFP is deeply concerned that more attention is needed to highlight the persistent problems faced by the world’s refugees – most of them in Africa.
30 December 2005
With a contribution of a 4 million euros from the European Commission Humanitarian Office (ECHO) for Pakistan, the European Commission (EC) provides its largest contribution since 1992 – some 214 million euros - to WFP operations around the globe in its effort to save lives and feed the hungry poor.
10 December 2005
WFP today warned that its operation to feed more than 1.45 million internally displaced people (IDPs) in northern Uganda will run out of donations in December.
27 October 2005
As the world focuses on a series of massive natural disasters and the spread of avian influenza, hunger in Africa has quietly climbed to an all-time high, threatening to destabilize much of the continent, warns James T. Morris, Executive Director of WFP.
- Analysis: From emergency aid to early recovery in northern Uganda Source: IRIN
- Guns and hunger : How Karamoja escaped the Horn of Africa drought Source: The East African
- Uganda Leader Pledges Higher Food Production Source: The Wall Street Journal
- Hunger: harder times predicted for Uganda Source: The Observer (Uganda)
- Increased food prices: 8m Ugandans sleeping hungry Source: New Vision
- 12 February 2014 Family Flees To Uganda To Escape Violence In South Sudan
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 24 July 2013 WFP Reaches 15,000 New Congolese Asylum Seekers
- 18 June 2013 The Cost Of Hunger In Africa