18 August 2005
Brussels - WFP welcomes a cash donation of five million euros from Belgium which will allow the agency to provide urgently needed food to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Niger, Mali, South Sudan, Zimbabwe and Malawi.
8 February 2005
Khartoum - WFP says it deeply regrets the death of the Republic of the Sudan\'s First Vice President John Garang de Mabior, killed in a helicopter crash on Saturday as he returned to southern Sudan from Uganda.
28 December 2004
Kampala WFP fed a record 2.85 million people in Uganda in 2004, thanks to the generous support of the international community. The biggest challenge was feeding some 1.9 million refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) living in misery and fear in the north of the country where the 18-year rebellion by the Lord\'s Resistance Army (LRA) continues to wreak havoc.
9 October 2004
Kampala WFP starts providing food to help resettle more than 260,000 people driven from their homes in northeastern Uganda by fighting and attacks by the rebel Lord\'s Resistance Army (LRA)
13 May 2004
Nairobi With daily rebel attacks continuing to leave huge numbers of people in fear for their lives in northern Uganda, WFP has warned it will soon be unable to cope with the escalating food needs of the displaced population, which now numbers at least 1.6 million.
18 March 2004
Kampala - The wanton violence and killing in northern Uganda that has created one of Africa\'s largest displaced populations must end, says WFP Deputy Executive Director, Sheila Sisulu. She made the call, after visiting a displaced camp in Uganda\'s beleaguered north.
26 February 2004
Nairobi WFP starts to distribute food assistance to the survivors of a massacre that took place on Saturday night, 21 February. Lord\'s Resistance Army (LRA) rebels attacked and burned Barlonyo camp for displaced people in Lira District, Langi Sub-region, in northern Uganda.
- Analysis: From emergency aid to early recovery in northern Uganda Source: IRIN
- Guns and hunger : How Karamoja escaped the Horn of Africa drought Source: The East African
- Uganda Leader Pledges Higher Food Production Source: The Wall Street Journal
- Hunger: harder times predicted for Uganda Source: The Observer (Uganda)
- Increased food prices: 8m Ugandans sleeping hungry Source: New Vision
- 12 February 2014 Family Flees To Uganda To Escape Violence In South Sudan
- 6 February 2014 Hungry Planet Episode 33
- 24 July 2013 WFP Reaches 15,000 New Congolese Asylum Seekers
- 18 June 2013 The Cost Of Hunger In Africa