11 July 2011
Eleven-year-old Shiva Adivasi looks every bit like the average teenage boy one would expect to see in the rural hinterlands of Madhya Pradesh. His hair unkempt, his hands and feet covered with layers of dust and his shirt secured in places with pins. But once he begins to speak about himself, the story changes completely.
25 February 2011
WFP's joint project with the Government of Madhya Pradesh seeks to reduce the incidence of anaemia among the marginalised Sahariya tribe by providing this impoverised community with access to free fortification of wheat flour
8 October 2010
WFP project enables a water-starved village in the state of Uttar Pradesh develop and maintain a pond which provides water all year round.
1 October 2010
With over 330 million beneficiaries, the Indian government runs the biggest subsidized food scheme in the world. However, keeping track of them all isn’t easy, which is why WFP is working with the state of Orissa to streamline the system using biometric data like fingerprints and eye scans.
20 August 2010
Grain banks run by village women lend out food to vulnerable people at easy terms, especially during the lean season. WFP India helps governments and self-help groups to set up these banks
20 August 2010
WFP India, in collaboration with state governments, provides a highly nutritious porridge to children between 6 months and five years and vulnerable women at state-run feeding centres
19 March 2010
2 June 2009
The England cricket team is using the international Twenty/20 tournament in England this summer to raise awareness about hunger. It's the latest initiative in an ongoing 'Cricket Against Hunger' partnership with WFP. Watch video
3 March 2009
WFP was able to feed many more hungry people in 2008 thanks to India's willingness to sell rice to the organization at well below the market rate, says WFP's food procurement chief Nicole Menage.
7 August 2007
WFP has begun distributing high energy biscuits and other food to victims of severe flooding in Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan and is preparing to step up its operations if requested by governments.
- Government to Add Breakfast to MDM Scheme Source: The New Indian Express
- World Food Day 2014: 442 days remaining to achieve the Millennium Development Goals Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Biometric cards nail fake PDS beneficiaries Source: The Times of India
- Food scheme may include pulses, oil in future: Ministry Source: The Times of India
- Water-hungry Indian villagers find new reservoirs of solidarity Source: The Guardian
- 20 November 2014 India: WFP at Odisha State School Feeding Programme Exhibition
- 20 October 2014 WFP India: World Food Day 2014
- 15 October 2014 Hungry Planet episode 38