25 February 2011
WFP's joint project with the Government of Madhya Pradesh seeks to reduce the incidence of anaemia among the marginalised Sahariya tribe by providing this impoverised community with access to free fortification of wheat flour
8 October 2010
WFP project enables a water-starved village in the state of Uttar Pradesh develop and maintain a pond which provides water all year round.
1 October 2010
With over 330 million beneficiaries, the Indian government runs the biggest subsidized food scheme in the world. However, keeping track of them all isn’t easy, which is why WFP is working with the state of Orissa to streamline the system using biometric data like fingerprints and eye scans.
20 August 2010
Grain banks run by village women lend out food to vulnerable people at easy terms, especially during the lean season. WFP India helps governments and self-help groups to set up these banks
20 August 2010
WFP India, in collaboration with state governments, provides a highly nutritious porridge to children between 6 months and five years and vulnerable women at state-run feeding centres
19 March 2010
2 June 2009
The England cricket team is using the international Twenty/20 tournament in England this summer to raise awareness about hunger. It's the latest initiative in an ongoing 'Cricket Against Hunger' partnership with WFP. Watch video
3 March 2009
WFP was able to feed many more hungry people in 2008 thanks to India's willingness to sell rice to the organization at well below the market rate, says WFP's food procurement chief Nicole Menage.
7 August 2007
WFP has begun distributing high energy biscuits and other food to victims of severe flooding in Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan and is preparing to step up its operations if requested by governments.
31 January 2007
Despite China’s rapid economic growth and India’s healthy democracy, you could say that there’s one area where Africa beats the Asian giants: in the famine stakes. Dr Stephen Devereux, editor of the book “The New Famines” (Routledge 2006) talks to WFP web writer Michelle Hough about why Africa is on the frontline of the chronic hunger battle.
- Biometric cards nail fake PDS beneficiaries Source: The Times of India
- Food scheme may include pulses, oil in future: Ministry Source: The Times of India
- Water-hungry Indian villagers find new reservoirs of solidarity Source: The Guardian
- In India, Inadequate Storage Could Mean Wasted Food Source: VOA
- Nutrition in a bag Source: The Hindu
- E-vouchers for Food Security
- Community-Level Micronutrient Fortification of School Lunch Meals Improved Vitamin A, Folate, and Iron Status of Schoolchildren in Himalayan Villages of India
- WFP India: Targeted Public Distribution System
- WFP India: Improving Child Nutrition Through Rice Fortification In Gajapati
- 16 December 2013 World Food Programme innovating with India
- 10 December 2013 WFP Executive Director Boosts Fight Against Hunger In India
- 21 August 2013 Hungry Planet Episode 29