Hunger in the news

A daily selection of news reports from the world's media dealing with hunger and responses to it.
Subscribe


Hunger in the news
8 April 2013

UN seeks more aid for Syria as refugees and displaced expected to triple

Muhannad Hadi, the UN World Food Program's emergency co-ordinator in Syria, was in Ottawa on Friday to update officials on a crisis he says has no end in sight. Hadi said the ranks of Syria's one million refugees, currently in neighbouring countries such as Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, could reach three million by the end of the year. (..) "If we don't deliver food, people have no options. It's over." Hadi said. "Mothers will see their children go to bed hungry. That's it."
The Canadian Press
Hunger in the news
4 April 2013

Drought and tropical storms hinder food supply in Haiti, UN says

A growing number of people in Haiti do not have enough to eat, according to the United Nations relief wing, mostly as a result of drought and the impact of recent tropical storms. “The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said today that some 1.5 million people continue to have severe food insecurity in Haiti, mostly as a result of drought and the impact of Hurricanes Isaac and Sandy,” UN spokesperson Eduardo del Buey told journalists today in New York. (..) Malnutrition rates in some areas of Haiti have risen since October of last year and food shortages are affecting 7 of the 10 departments in the country, according to information from OCHA. Nearly 82,000 children under 5 years of age are malnourished.
UN News Centre
Hunger in the news
4 April 2013

NGO Puts South Sudanese to Work for Food

An international NGO has been putting people in a drought-stricken area of South Sudan to work, in exchange for food. The new program, called "Food for Assets", is run by Mercy Corps and allows people in an area in Aweil East, in Northern Bahr el Ghazal, to work on projects that benefit their community, in exchange for food. The food is supplied by the United Nations' World Food Program, and the projects locals work on include everything from clearing roads that link local villages to improving irrigation systems on small farms.
VOA News
Hunger in the news
3 April 2013

Fortified Rice – A Genuine Game-Changer?

It’s Asia’s staple food, and is eaten regularly by about two billion people – nearly one in every three people on the planet. Despite its almost universal appeal, rice does not deliver the full package of micronutrients needed by young children in particular in the early years of life. (..) The World Food Programme (WFP) has several decades of experience delivering food assistance into conflict zones and to victims of major natural disasters, but addressing hidden hunger is a different challenge altogether. (..) Robust public-private partnerships will be crucial for sustainable and effective rice fortification programmes – 12 million people have already benefited from WFP’s partnership with DSM, and the plan is to grow the partnership further. Fortified rice is likely to be at the heart of this expansion.

Food and Beverage News
Hunger in the news
3 April 2013

‘Can we feed the world?’: A conversation with Sir Gordon Conway

In a world where per capita income is on the increase, consumer spending and dietary habits are leading to a growing demand for livestock products, and climate change is resulting in more extreme meteorological events, the answer perhaps lies in sustainable agriculture: “That is an agriculture where the productivity is high, the stability is high, the resilience is high and the equity is also high. How do we get that?” By investing in innovation, markets, people and through political leadership, he asserts. (..) In part, they (FAO and the World Food Programme) can do some of the work but they also have the technical expertise. So, it’s a mixture from the FAO, from IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development, from World Food Program — it’s partly a mixture of doing some of the work themselves, but also providing the right kind of technical expertise.
Devex
Hunger in the news
3 April 2013

Interview with Valerie Amos, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator

In September 2010, Valerie Amos took up her post at the helm of the UN Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), which is responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. (..) Ms. Amos recently sat down with the UN News Centre following a visit to Turkey, where she visited with some of the more than 1 million refugees who have fled the ongoing conflict in Syria and are residing in neighbouring countries. (..) Some countries have to go through parliaments. Other countries are making decisions about exactly where they want that money to go. But in the meantime, the World Food Programme – trying to deliver food stocks; UNHCR – trying to help refugees; UNICEF – trying to help children; UNRWA – the urgent work that they are doing with the Palestinian refugees; they’re all running out of money, said Amos.
UN News Centre
Hunger in the news
3 April 2013

Hungry Aleppo residents rely on charity for food

While for many months several Aleppo districts have been deprived of electricity and, on some days, water, whole families have been forced by the conflict to rely on charity for food. (..) On the other side of the road, store shelves overflow with fruit and honey-filled cakes. Although there is no shortage of food, there are very few people with the money to buy it. The UN World Food Programme says "humanitarian needs are growing in Syria, with serious bread and fuel shortages across the country. In some areas, the prices of most essential items have risen by 200 percent, and the Syrian pound has been devalued by around 80 percent," the WFP added.
Global Post/ AFP
Hunger in the news
28 March 2013

Humanitarian crisis in Sahel not over yet - WFP head Ertharin Cousin

Even though the hunger situation in West Africa’s Sahel region has eased due to a good rainy season last year, there are still challenges, including access to people who fled their homes due to fighting in Mali, Ertharin Cousin, executive director of the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP), tells AlertNet in an interview. Cousin says the international community needs to focus on slow-burning emergencies like the Sahel as well and continue to invest in sustainable solutions to deal with food shortages to avoid future crises.

Reuters Alertnet
Hunger in the news
26 March 2013

Urgent food aid to G.Bissau stalled due to lacking funds: UN

- The United Nations said Tuesday that it had been forced to delay desperately-needed food aid to nearly 300,000 people in Guinea Bissau since it so far had received no donations to support the operation. "The assistance was due to start on March 1, 2013, but operations are stalled because, so far, (we have) not received any donor support for the operation," Elisabeth Byrs, spokeswoman for the UN's World Food Programme, told reporters in Geneva. The WFP was urgently seeking $7.1 million to provide food and nutrition aid to 278,000 people across the troubled west African nation this year, "including to young mothers and children at increased risk of malnutrition", she said.
Global Post
Hunger in the news
26 March 2013

Syria, ‘It’s just getting worse and worse’

Spool forward less than a year and now it is the World Food Programme (WFP) and other UN agencies working here – or rather not being able to work here any more. This time we were just north of Damascus and plans to move on with touring food distribution centres came to an abrupt halt when fighting broke out on the road between our location and the capital a few miles distant. “It’s just getting worse and worse, ” Kate Newton, WFP’s deputy here told, me as we waited at the roadside. “There is just more fighting in more areas and it is getting increasingly difficult for us to move around.”
Channel 4

Video

Fighting Hunger Worldwide