Hunger in the news

A daily selection of news reports from the world's media dealing with hunger and responses to it.
Subscribe


Hunger in the news
15 February 2013

Around 40,000 flee heavy fighting in east Syria: U.N.

"A WFP (World Food Programme) team visited the area and estimated that around 40,000 people have fled al-Shaddadeh to al-Hasakah city (the regional capital)," the U.N. agency told journalists in Geneva on Friday. Northeastern Syria was hit by four years of drought before the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad started nearly two years ago, resulting in high rates of malnutrition among children, WFP spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs said.
Reuters
Hunger in the news
14 February 2013

Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013

Up to 10 million people across the Sahel region are at risk of food insecurity in 2013 and 1 million children are at risk of severe acute malnutrition, according to the United Nations. The U.N. regional humanitarian coordinator for the Sahel, David Gressly, talks to AlertNet about preventing malnutrition, building resilience and other priorities for the region this year. He says getting the money for these activities is likely to be a challenge – without a drought being the rallying point for raising funds.
Reuters/AlertNet
Hunger in the news
14 February 2013

Food security and nutrition should top development agenda after 2015 – UN officials

Nutrition and food security should be the top development goal as the international community sets its priorities beyond 2015, the target date for a achieving the globally agreed anti-poverty targets known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), senior United Nations officials have stressed. (..) Amir Abdulla, Deputy Executive-Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), urged countries to continue to work together to make hunger “the world’s number one solvable problem.”
UN News Centre
Hunger in the news
14 February 2013

Locust invasion threatens underfunded Madagascar

After years of underfunding its locust management programme, Madagascar is threatened by a major swarm that could infest most of the island country. “If nothing is done this year, there is a risk that almost the whole country, except for the extreme north and the eastern coast, will be invaded by locusts,” Alexandre Huynh, country representative for the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), told IRIN. Locusts breed in the southwestern regions of Madagascar during the rainy season, from October to April. According to a 2012 World Food Programme (WFP) survey, an estimated 676,000 people in the 104 southern municipalities are considered at risk of severe food insecurity.
IRIN News
Hunger in the news
14 February 2013

World’s assistance to Jordan for refugees not enough — EU

Jordan must not be left alone to deal with the Syrian refugees, an EU fact-finding mission said on Wednesday. (..) The delegation also called on the Arab states to share some of the burden Jordan is carrying, and learn from the EU’s experience in that regard. The EU, for its part, is expected to show solidarity and come to the aid of the Syrian refugees, instead of leaving it to Syria’s neighbouring countries, the MEPs said.
The Jordan Times
Hunger in the news
14 February 2013

Food and nutrition security should be the top development goal

13 February 2013, Rome - A global multi-stakeholder consultation to discuss the world development agenda beyond 2015 has called for food security and nutrition to be the central element in future development efforts. New development objectives should be established for the entire global community.

FAO
Hunger in the news
13 February 2013

Combating poverty through school meals

The World Food Programme (WFP) Tanzania supports school feeding programmes in some schools and last year, WFP expanded its school feeding programme. Today the number of primary schoolchildren receiving meals under WFP programme has reached 640,000 from 600,000 in 2011. During a recent visit to Arkatan Primary School in Arusha’s Monduli District, WFP Country Director Richard Ragan said the school feeding programme aims to help pupils concentrate better in class. The programme also saves those who would have gone back home for lunch the time to do so since some come very far from school.
IPP Media / The Guardian (Tanzania)
Hunger in the news
13 February 2013

Shippers turn to Dar port as Kenya readies for elections

The WFP delegation led by Executive Director Ms Ertharin Cousin, toured the port to assess WFP's operations as well as see the central logistic hub that is vital for the UN organisation's work in Africa. She was accompanied by WFP Goodwill Ambassador, Mr Howard Buffet. (..) "I am pleased to see good infrastructure and the efficiency of operations at the Dar es Salaam Port," said Ms Cousin, whose visit to Tanzania was the first as Executive Director of WFP.
Daily News (Tanzania)
Hunger in the news
13 February 2013

UN agencies, health ministry seek to improve Syrians’ nutritional situation

“The nutrition situation of Syrian refugees in Jordan, while not yet serious, could deteriorate with this protracted humanitarian emergency and many of these refugees are exhausting their savings, if indeed they came with any,” said Jonathan Campbell, the World Food Programme’s emergency coordinator for the Syria Refugee Operation in Jordan.
The Jordan Times
Hunger in the news
13 February 2013

UN agencies provide food aid to Syrian refugees in Egypt

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is feeding more than 7,000 Syrian refugees in Egypt through a newly-launched food voucher operation that is underway in other parts of the region. (..) Last week, more than 3,000 Syrian refugees received vouchers in the first round of distribution in the Cairo satellite cities of Al-Obour and 6th of October City, as well as Damietta near the Nile. WFP is planning to reach an additional 4,000 Syrians in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria by the end of this month.
UN News Centre

Video

Fighting Hunger Worldwide