Hunger in the news

A daily selection of news reports from the world's media dealing with hunger and responses to it.
Subscribe


Hunger in the news
5 February 2013

Darfur tribal violence flares over gold mines

UN aid agencies are once again launching an emergency operation to help tens of thousands of displaced people in Sudan's Darfur region, after an outbreak of fighting over gold mines. (..) Last weekend, 100 tonnes of food and emergency aid was sent from El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur, to people fleeing fighting in a remote desert area in the province's northwest.(..) "Thousands are sleeping in the open in the cold winter desert nights, and so we are bringing in shelter materials - tents and plastic sheeting and blankets," explained Cesar Arroyo, head of the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) in Darfur.
Al Jazeera
Hunger in the news
5 February 2013

Syria: Exodus Swells Border Refugee Camps

The numbers of refugees from Syria is growing by the day. (..) So they make the journey north, south, east and west to neighbouring counties that are letting them in; but are themselves increasingly concerned about the exodus. Some 700,000 are registered as refugees in these countries.
Sky News
Hunger in the news
5 February 2013

Syrian crisis: EU pledges €100 million for humanitarian aid

The European Commission will pledge €100 million of humanitarian funding at the International Pledging Conference for Syria convened by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and hosted by Kuwait on 30 January. This funding, to be disbursed in 2013, will add to the €100 million already contracted for the crisis in 2011/2012, bringing the Commission's humanitarian funding for the crisis to €200 million.

European Commission
Climate Change
4 February 2013

Resolving the food crisis: The need for decisive action

What progress has been made in the last year in addressing the underlying causes of the global food crisis? Far too little. Now, following the third food price spike in five years, we need clear and decisive action to address the real drivers of high and volatile food prices.(..) The UN's Committee on World Food Security remains a source of hope.
Al Jazeera
Hunger in the news
4 February 2013

Cash-for-work program set for farmers in areas hit by Typhoon ‘Pablo’

The provincial government of Davao Oriental (Philippines) and the World Food Program (WFP) have started briefing farmers on the cash-for-work program, in an effort to cover initially 800 hectares of rice farms in Cateel, Baganga and Boston municipalities. Sharon Andrea Lumpias, cash and voucher officer of the WFP, said a farmer could work for 10 days, under the program, on a one-hectare rice farm and would get P226 per day or 75 percent of the authorized minimum daily wage set by the Regional Tripartite Wage Regulatory Board.
Inquirer.net
Hunger in the news
4 February 2013

Somalia: UN Relief Official Cautions Against Complacency On Food Security

The top United Nations relief official in Somalia today announced that the number of people in crisis in the Horn of Africa country was halved in the past six months, but cautioned that the situation remains fragile and that the gains could reverse without continued support to meet people's basic needs. "Our innovative approaches to aid delivery, coupled with relatively favourable rains, has made a profound difference in the lives of people," acting UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia Stefano Porretti said today in a statement, citing recent data on food security from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the Famine Early Warning Systems Network. However Mr. Porretti, who is also the WFP Representative in Somalia, noted that "this is not the time to be complacent.”
allAfrica
Hunger in the news
4 February 2013

Syria, Mali crises overshadow Islamic summit in Cairo

Leaders of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation states are to meet in Cairo on Wednesday to tackle crises ranging from the French-led battle against Islamist militants in Mali to the Syrian civil war.
The Independent/AFP
Hunger in the news
30 January 2013

Aid urged for Syrian refugees

Representatives from more than 60 countries will meet in Kuwait for a conference on the humanitarian crisis in Syria. The United Nations estimates that more than 700,000 refugees have fled to neighbouring nations. Another two million have been displaced by the 22-month-long conflict or are in need of food and medicine.
Al Jazeera
Hunger in the news
30 January 2013

Harsh winter takes toll on Afghan war displaced

The bitter cold of the Afghan winter is killing an increasing number of people, especially children, in urban slums where internally displaced Afghans struggle to survive, aid agencies said on Tuesday. Human rights group Amnesty International said its research showed at least 11 children and six adults had died in the last month as a result of the cold weather, though there are no official figures. (..) The government has been reluctant to build proper shelters or provide permanent amenities as it fears this would encourage more displaced people to move into these illegal settlements.
Reuters Alertnet
Hunger in the news
30 January 2013

Michael Kors Partners With UN Hunger Initiative

Michael Kors has partnered with the United Nations on a long-term fundraising project to help tackle world hunger. The designer has joined the UN World Food Programme which aims to provide assistance and sustenance to those in need, particularly mothers and children. (..) Kors plans to raise money and awareness of the programme through a series of campaigns and events - starting with the launch of two unisex watches in March, under the slogan: "Watch Hunger Stop". Each watch sold will allow for 100 children to be fed through the initiative.

Vogue Magazine

Video

Fighting Hunger Worldwide