ROME – One year after the crisis in Africa’s Sahel region what has been achieved? High Level Representatives of the humanitarian community and government donors will meet at the headquarters of the World Food Programme (WFP) on Wednesday 20 February, to discuss the results. They will debate a range of issues including the effectiveness of humanitarian assistance to the Sahel and the nutritional status of the region’s inhabitants.
Where: WFP Headquarters, Via Cesare Giulio Viola 68/70, 00148 Rome
When: From 10:00 to 13:00, Wednesday 20 February 2013
The Executive Director of WFP, Ertharin Cousin, will chair the meeting, which will be attended by:
• Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator;
• Helen Clark, Administrator of the UN Development Programme (UNDP);
• François Danel, Executive Director of Action Contre la Faim (ACF);
• Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response;
• Nancy Lindborg, Assistant Administrator for Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance, USAID;
• Jean-Baptiste Mattéi, Director-General for Global Affairs, Development and Partnerships from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
• Romano Prodi, UN Special Envoy for the Sahel;
• Laurent Thomas, Assistant Director-General, Technical Cooperation Department (FAO).
A brief documentary film, The Human Chain, directed by Riccardo Russo and Paolo Barberi for WFP and the European Commission, will be premiered at the event.
At the end of the discussions, the participants are expected to deliver a joint statement and will be available to answer questions from the media. Interested media are requested to indicate whom they would like to interview, by following the accreditation instructions.
Interested media should send their request for accreditation by 16:30 on Monday 18 February to Emanuela.firstname.lastname@example.org, or call +39 06 6513 2691, specifying whom they wish to interview.
Media wishing to attend the event should arrive at WFP Headquarters no later than 09:30 on Wednesday 20 February, with a valid photo ID card.
Video footage, photos of humanitarian activities in the Sahel and the trailer of the documentary will be made available on the morning of 20 February.
For more information please contact
Caroline Hurford, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39 06 6513 2330, Cell. +39 348 132 5018
For videos and photos, please contact: (email address: email@example.com):
Jonathan Dumont, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39 06 6513 3152, Cell. +39 340 224 9140 (Videos)
Rein Skullerud, WFP/Rome, Tel.+39 06 6513 2687, Cell. +39 346 503 4101 (Photos)