The climbers take a break after reaching the summit of Kili.
Copyright: WFP/Jen Kunz
An all-female team supported by the UN World Food Programme reached the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro on 5 March. The 10 climbers – three African women and seven Nepali veterans of a successful Mount Everest expedition in 2008 – undertook the challenge to highlight the importance of girls’ education and school meals. They recorded video messages on the mountain for International Women’s Day on 8 March and, since their descent, have been telling students of their exploits in schools in Dar-es-Salaam and Arusha.
- 25 March 2013 SADC Countries Help Somalia
- 20 March 2013 Mt Kilimanjaro Team Visit WFP School
- 15 January 2013 Ambassador Lane VisitsTanzania Food Security Projects
- 2 October 2012 Building a Hunger-free Future in Tanzania
- 6 March 2012 Water Changes Everything
- 30 December 2010 Building Assets to Protect Livelihoods
- 8 June 2009 A woman returns from despair