Welcome to the World Food Programme's (WFP) new recipe series. Explore the culinary treasures and cooking abilities of refugees who benefit from WFP's cash and vouchers, an initiative that allows individuals to buy the food they need to cook their traditional dishes.
Download the recipe!
1) Chop the parsley, lettuce leaves, scallions and tomato into really tiny pieces.
2) Pour one cup of water onto the bulgur and let it soak.
3) Squeeze all the lemons.
4) Add the lemons and bulgur to the chopped ingredients.
5) Finally add salt, pepper, mint and olive oil. Mix it well.
6) Serve as a side dish or as an appetiser.
Cash And Vouchers
Photo: WFP/Jane Howard
WFP delivers hundreds of thousands of tons of food each year, but, increasingly, we give hungry people cash or vouchers to buy food for themselves. Learn more about WFP's cash and vouchers programmes.
WFP uses innovative ways to deliver food assistance, such as scratch cards or “e-vouchers” sent to mobile phones by text message.
Photo: WFP/Eyad Al Baba
WFP and the Turkish Red Crescent launched the e-food card programme in 2012 in Turkey. The initiative enables Syrian refugees to cook their own meals using fresh ingredients they can buy in the local markets. Read more about WFP's E-Food card programme (PDF, 1.48 MB).