Gaza City - WFP food distribution
(Copyright: Bruno Stevens Cosmos)
Since the hostilities erupted on 27 December, WFP has continued delivering food to the civilian population in Gaza, distributing two-month rations to more than 222,000 people.
WFP has distributed standard rations such as wheat flour, cooking oil and chickpeas and also one-off emergency packages including date bars, bread, high energy biscuits and canned goods to more than 150,000 people.
Ready-to-eat meals have also been handed out to feed sick and injured patients in hospitals across Gaza.
- On Monday food rations were distributed to 769 families. More distributions were scheduled for Tuesday.
- WFP now has 4,850 metric tons of food stocked in Gaza, enough to feed 160,000 people for two months.
- Following the reopening of schools in Gaza, WFP has started its School Feeding programme targeting 40,000 school children in 48 schools in Gaza.
- Based on confirmed contributions, WFP remains only 15% funded. However, ongoing urgent distributions of commodities to beneficiaries are continuing using stocks borrowed from other operations and operational reserves.
- With the world’s attention currently focused on Gaza, WFP remains concerned about the plight of the people of the West Bank, where the agency is providing food assistance to 400,000 vulnerable non-refugee Palestinians.
- WFP is appealing to the donor community to remember the West Bank when contributing to operations in the occupied Palestinian territory.