Copyright: WFP Photolibrary
Last year, over 360,000 people in all time zones walked the world to raise awareness about Hunger. This year, why not join them? Read on for more details...
Walk the World 2010 - Changing the world one step at a time...
There are 1.02 billion undernourished people in the world today. That means one in nearly six people do not get enough food to be healthy and lead an active life. Hunger and malnutrition are in fact the number one risk to the health worldwide — greater than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
So what can be done?
"End Hunger: Walk the World" will take place on Sunday June 6th. Last year 360,000 people walked in 210 locations, raising enough money to provide school meals for one year to more than 20 thousand children in the world's poorest countries.
What is Walk the World?
"End Hunger: Walk the World" is an annual event to raise money and awareness for WFP’s efforts to fight child hunger and malnutrition. The Walk is a joint effort of WFP and its corporate partners, led by TNT, Unilever and DSM. Employees from these companies walk with WFP staff and beneficiaries, celebrities and VIPs as well as government and NGO partners to show their solidarity in the fight against hunger and malnutrition. The walk is a 24-hour relay with participants in each of the world's time zones walking five kilometres. It begins in Auckland, New Zealand and finishes in Samoa.
On the site you will find a map of the walks worldwide - no walk near you? Well, you can also organise events, concerts, fundraisers - you will find more details in the attched document: "Guidelines for Schools and Universities"
Find out more:
- New website! Find a walk near you or join our virtual walk by donating and uploading your photo to the photo wall. Link to website: http://walktheworld.wfp.org/
- New Facebook page! Become a fan of Walk the World on Facebook by clicking "Like" and get the newest updates on Walk the World. Link to Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/WalkTheWorld
- New Twitter account! Follow us on Twitter and get the newest updates on Walk the World. Link to Twitter account: http://twitter.com/Walk_the_World
- Video Walk Around the World: send in your best video of you, your friends, your dog or someone else walking the world. Maybe your video will be included in the Walk the World 2010 Viral Video. Find out how easy (and fun!) it is by watching our instructional video on our website. Look for the "Video Walk Around the World" button. http://walktheworld.wfp.org/content/video-walk
- Photo contest: join our Walk the World photo contest and get a chance to win a Flip Cam. All you have to do is send in your best Walk the World photo before June 15th to firstname.lastname@example.org and upload it on Flickr (tag it "wtw2010"). Link to Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walk_the_world/
- The Wailers song and music video: The legendary reggae band The Wailers (as in Bob Marley and The Wailers) have recorded a song for this year's Walk the World. Check it out on our website (coming soon!)
- Football super star Kaka has created a Walk the World promotional video. Check it out on: http://walktheworld.wfp.org/get_involved/downloads
- Share these videos along with the official Walk the World trailer for 2010 through Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Above all - don't forget that the fight against hunger is winnable! And together we can change the world!