Malawi - MVAC IPC Findings of the 2017 Assessment and Analysis, December 2017
- Food Security situation has improved significantly compared to 2015/16 cropping year
- Onset of rains was nor-mal and well distributed in central and southern areas. A few districts in the south experienced dry spell in the month of Feb-ruary.
- Fall army worms attacked maize in all regions with varying intensity and the impact on production was not significant
- Tobacco production has continued to decline due to low prices being offered by buyers.
- Farm gate prices for ma-jor food commodities are generally below the 5 year average and are like-ly to remain so with mar-ginal increases early 2018
- Nutrition status has re-mained stable with GAM rates of <5%.
- Food Consumption is stable for the majority of house-holds. Vey poor and poor households may experience food gaps during the lean period.