21 November 2008
Kabul, 21 November 2008 - Shamellah nimbly picks off discoloured leaves from the young almond and willow trees. There are rows of neatly planted saplings of different heights within the walls that define her small home nursery. Pointing at the larger plants, she says she sold one thousand like them last January for US$880.
13 October 2008
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and WFP will use funds raised by the Pavarotti tribute charity concert on 11 and 12 October 2008 to help returnees in Afghanistan to rebuild their lives.
9 October 2008
Every day hundreds of Afghan families cross the border at Torkham, a dusty gateway that leads from the life of a refugee in Pakistan to a life of hope in Afghanistan. All they want is to go home.
5 August 2008
The great Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti's legacy, a year after his death, now includes a special memorial ceremony and concert to raise funds for UN projects supporting refugees in Afghanistan.
26 May 2008
High food prices are affecting millions of people across the world - most of all those living on the edge of poverty and hunger. For WFP, as an organisation enirely dependent on voluntary contributions, the impact of rising food and fuel prices represents nothing less than a global emergency.
11 December 2007
Countries where violence persists and populations live in fear. People in Hunger's Global Hotspots don't know what tomorrow will bring and they often have to rely on WFP for their next meal.
17 October 2007
Thousands of Afghan women are defying potential threats to take their first steps in education. WFP Afghanistan spokesperson Jackie Dent reports on how WFP food is playing an important role in getting Afghan women out of the house and into the classroom.
11 September 2007
After violence and drought brought the Afghan village of Towhed Abad to its knees, a WFP food-for-work road building project has given people the hope that their lives will improve. Jackie Dent reports.
1 August 2007
WFP thanked Japan for a generous US$26 million donation from the Government of Japan to assist millions of vulnerable people affected by conflict and natural disasters in seven countries, mainly in Africa.
27 July 2007
WFP has welcomed contributions of $104 million from the US government this month to feed the hungry poor in 15 countries.
- Harsh winter takes toll on Afghan war displaced Source: Reuters Alertnet
- UN environmental agency to help Afghanistan combat effects of climate change Source: UN News Centre
- More than Lego: WFP's Factory-in-a-box Source: Devex
- The challenge of getting food to Afghan schoolchildren Source: The Examiner
- What It Means To Be A Mother In Afghanistan Source: Care2.com
- Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Situation Report #04, May 2014
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Afghanistan PRRO 200447 Assistance to Address Food Insecurity and Under-nutrition: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- 23 January 2015 WFP Ships ‘Biscuit Factory In A Box' From Italy To Afghanistan