8 November 2013
BANGUI – A recent study has found that 1.1 million people in the Central African Republic (CAR) risk going hungry and warns the situation could worsen because of poor harvests and a drastic slowdown in economic activity following months of violence.
20 September 2013
BANGUI – At the end of a two-day visit to the Central African Republic (CAR), the UN World Food Programme (WFP) Regional Director for West Africa, Denise Brown, says that the organization is committed to scaling up food assistance to people displaced by conflict in CAR.
8 August 2013
ROME – New Video of CAR for use by broadcasters can be downloaded here: LINK
8 March 2013
KINSHASA – Two United Nations agencies are stepping up efforts to assist refugees from the Central Africa Republic (CAR) who have fled into the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The UN agency for refugees, UNHCR, and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) have come together to assist the large numbers of people who have fled fighting between Seleka rebels and the CAR army since mid-December.
15 February 2013
BANGUI – According to a recent rapid food security assessment conducted by the United Nations and Non-Governmental Organizations, the political and military crisis of December 2012 and January 2013 could trigger a food crisis in the country.
28 November 2012
BANGUI – The UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS), run by the UN World Food Programme (WFP) in the Central African Republic (CAR), is facing a critical shortfall in funding and will have to cut back services by half if no resources are received in the next few weeks.
5 April 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has received today from the United States Government a donation of 4,000 metric tons of food (worth US$6.5 million) to assist communities vulnerable to food insecurity and malnutrition in the Central African Republic (CAR).
17 November 2010
International food prices have increased steeply in the last six months, bringing the UN Food and Agriculture (FAO) Food Price Index to its highest level since September 2008. However, recent harvests have been better and global food stocks are higher.
24 August 2010
BANGUI – Tens of thousands of people risk becoming malnourished unless critical new funding is secured for the World Food Programme in the Central African Republic (CAR).
12 March 2010
BRAZZAVILLE – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today started to airlift urgent food assistance from Pointe Noire to Impfondo in Likouala province to reach tens of thousands of Congolese refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who have moved into northern Republic of Congo (RoC).
- Worsened security leads to further displacement in Central African Republic Source: Xinhua News
- Today’s Central African Republic: It Really Doesn’t Get Much Worse Than This Source: The Ottawa Citizen (Canada)
- Hatred festers as Muslims and Christians suffer in Central African Republic Source: Irish Times
- WFP Chief Calls for Humanitarian Intervention in CAR Source: VOA News
- In Central African Republic, a ‘very desperate situation’ in makeshift camps Source: PBS NewsHour
- 16 April 2014 Crisis In Central African Republic
- 7 April 2014 Central African Republic's Economy On Its Knees
- 28 March 2014 Central African Republic Can't Wait, Says WFP Head
- 20 March 2014 'We Will Not Forget You,' WFP Head Tells CAR's Displaced