24 August 2013
The Humanitarian Coordinator, Moustapha Soumare, UNICEF, UNHCR, WFP and OCHA condemn the killings of innocent civilians in the fighting in North Kivu
19 July 2013
GOMA – At the end of a three-day visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo, UN World Food Programme (WFP) Executive Director Ertharin Cousin has called upon all armed groups to ensure that humanitarian agencies are able to safely assist all people in need, wherever they are in DRC.
22 May 2013
KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO – The Howard G. Buffett Foundation has announced three new grants to the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP) worth nearly US$350,000. The funds will support a “green initiative” to reduce fuel costs associated with WFP operations and facilitate airport rehabilitation projects allowing greater humanitarian access.
8 March 2013
KINSHASA – Two United Nations agencies are stepping up efforts to assist refugees from the Central Africa Republic (CAR) who have fled into the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The UN agency for refugees, UNHCR, and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) have come together to assist the large numbers of people who have fled fighting between Seleka rebels and the CAR army since mid-December.
15 February 2013
GOMA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has airlifted food for thousands of recently-displaced people in Punia, an isolated town in Maniema Province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Distributions of high-energy biscuits, used in emergencies because they are nutritious and light to transport, are due to begin tomorrow.
23 November 2012
KINSHASA –The UN World Food Programme (WFP) today began distributing vital food assistance to roughly 81,000 displaced people who have taken refuge in and around Goma, amid the ongoing unrest in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
21 September 2012
KINSHASA – The World Food Programme (WFP) expresses concern about the dramatic increase of displaced people in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who are in dire need of humanitarian support, including food assistance.
8 June 2012
KINSHASA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) this week provided a monthly food ration to close to 20,000 newly displaced people and host families in Beni, in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), amid concerns about the effect of violence on the civilian population in the east of the country.
28 May 2012
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) signed a landmark agreement in Botswana on 25 May 2012 to work together to fight food insecurity in the 15 member countries of the SADC region of southern Africa.
23 July 2010
Goma– The Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme (WFP), Josette Sheeran, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), António Guterres, said they hoped more people displaced by years of conflict in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo will soon find the security they need to return to their homes and re-start farming their land.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- WFP Regional Impact of the C.A.R. Crisis Situation Report #17, 30 August 2015
- WFP DRC Burundi Refugee Assistance Situation Report #15, 26 August 2015
- Fact sheet : P4P in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- WFP Fact sheet on regional emergency operation to assist Central Africa Republic refugees in Democratic Republic of Congo