20 July 2010
Rome – Josette Sheeran, the Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will begin a fact-finding visit this week to four African nations where the agency is undertaking the full spectrum of its humanitarian work ranging from emergency food assistance in Niger to distribution of cash and vouchers in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and support for small farmers in its Purchase for Progress initiative in Uganda.
6 April 2010
12 March 2010
BRAZZAVILLE – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today started to airlift urgent food assistance from Pointe Noire to Impfondo in Likouala province to reach tens of thousands of Congolese refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who have moved into northern Republic of Congo (RoC).
25 November 2009
KINSHASA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is scaling up deliveries to northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo and to the neighbouring Republic of Congo to feed tens of thousands of Congolese people displaced by a recent upsurge of violence in and around Dongo village in DRC’s Equateur province.
8 December 2008
Kampala, 8 December 2008 - WFP today launched an air operation to deliver urgently required humanitarian supplies into the northeastern corner of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where thousands of people have been terrorised by one of Africa’s most notorious rebel groups.
16 July 2008
WFP warned today that greater numbers of people fleeing fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo were stretching the agency’s resources to the limit as thousands gather in camps in search of safety.
11 May 2008
WFP today began food distributions to more than 135,000 displaced people in six camps around Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
28 September 2007
WFP is profiting from improved security conditions in the North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo to deliver vital food supplies to people forced from their homes by recent fighting and who until now have been beyond WFP’s reach. Concerns remain for those who are still cut off from humanitarian assistance.
- UN says widespread food aid cutbacks loom in Congo, affecting hundreds of thousands Source: Fox News
- In Uganda, UN and partners assist new refugees fleeing DR Congo fighting Source: UN News Centre
- Bridging the gap between relief and development in DRC Source: IRIN Africa
- Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo Source: The New York Times
- WFP Provides Emergency Rations to Congo Refugees After Violence Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
- WFP Burundi Situation Report #6, 26 June 2015
- WFP Burundi Crisis Regional Impact Situation Report #05, 22 June 2015
- WFP Burundi Crisis egional Impact Situation Report #04, 15 June 2015
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015