16 July 2014
There is often the misconception that hunger and malnutrition refer to the same condition. While the two often go hand-in-hand there are significant differences. With the assistance of The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) we are hoping to break this common misconception. Read on for 11 myth busting facts about malnutrition and examples of how WFP is tackling it in Latin America.
10 June 2014
Active in Ecuador since 1964, WFP has proven expertise in supporting the livelihoods of the most vulnerable populations, managing emergencies, empowering women, protecting the environment and developing national and local systems and capacities in food assistance programmes. It has supported direct food interventions, including school feeding, assistance for production systems, reforestation and nutrition programmes. WFP’s goal in Ecuador is to be an innovative partner, support government policies and priorities, contribute to food sovereignty, food and nutrition security of vulnerable people, and gender equality.
10 June 2014
Ecuador hosts the largest recognized refugee population in the region due to the large numbers of Colombians fleeing violence. WFP works with the governments of Ecuador and Colombia to provide food assistance to these people living along the border. Recently WFP staff working in Colombia met with WFP staff in Ecuador to exchange experiences on how to improve food and nutrition security to help displaced people and refugees rebuild their lives.
28 April 2014
We all remember our first car. We also remember the saving and sacrifice it took to get it. In Ecuador, a farmers' organization purchased its first truck recently, turning a dream into reality. It was partly thanks to a WFP programme in which the farmers learnt better accounting techniques. To show their appreciation, the farmers sent a photo of the truck to WFP's Gabriella Malo, who shares the full story here.
5 February 2014
PANAMA CITY –The World Food Programme (WFP) has appointed Miguel Barreto, a Peruvian national, as its new Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. His duty will be to oversee WFP operations across the region.
14 October 2013
October 15th marks the International Day of Rural Women. WFP, UN Women, FAO, and UNICEF have joined the Women's Association of Parochial Rural Ecuador to assist in exemplifying the impact that rural women have in our world today. The following article summarizes the impact that Mariana, one of these rural women, is having in her community.
1 October 2013
Four hundred families from the Santa Elena Province are improving their diets by incorporating nutritious foods produced by small farmer associations, thanks to an initiative of the Decentralized Autonomous Government of the Santa Elena Province in partnership with World Food Programme (WFP).
2 August 2013
The WFP Deputy Regional Director and Officer in Charge, Alzira Ferreira, and the Regional Director of Plan in the Americas, Roland Angerer, signed an agreement to work together to fight food insecurity to help the most vulnerable populations, especially women and children, in Latin America and the Caribbean.
27 June 2013
ROME/VATICAN CITY – His Holiness Pope Francis this morning granted a private audience to Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). The meeting took place immediately upon Cousin’s return from Syria and following her recent visit to Israel and Palestine.
17 June 2013
Ecuador hosts the largest number of refugees in the western hemisphere. They are mostly Colombians, like Carmen and her family, who are struggling to make even enough money to survive. WFP works with other UN agencies and local governments to assist them.
- Rural women's work recognized as motor of world development Source: El Comercio
- Training helps build capacities in Esmeraldas Source: La Hora
- Authorities Celebrate World Humanitarian Day Source: La Hora (Ecuador)
- Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: the Huffington Post
- UN World Food Programme in Ecuador: Strengthening Food Security through Ancestral Knowledge Source: Huffington Post blog
- Case Study Summary: How WFP Supported Dietary Diversification of Vulnerable Ecuadorian and Colombian Refugees
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Ecuador: WFP Annual Report 2014
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together
- 26 September 2014 Refugees Don't Need to Worry about Their Next Meal
- 25 April 2014 Charley Anderson sings for women’s rights in Ecuador