11 September 2009
In Kenya’s Rift Valley, crops have failed and people are lucky if they eat even one meal a day. Many now face a choice between migrating to urban slums in search of food and work or staying put and breaking stones to earn enough to survive.
3 September 2009
As teenagers around the world think glumly about the return to school, there’s one in Kenya who sees her return as a triumph. And it is. After being raised in the world’s largest refugee camp, Fatuma Omar beat the odds to win a scholarship to Nairobi’s best girls’ school. Watch video
25 August 2009
Kenya’s drought has forced herders to roam further and further with their animals in search of pasture. Cattle are dying, pushing pastoralist communities into hunger and swelling the numbers of Kenyans needing food assistance. Read News Release
12 August 2009
Somali refugees living in northern Kenya are starting small businesses thanks to an income generation initiative launched by WFP and CARE International.
5 August 2009
ROME – During her tour of Africa, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited four countries – Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia and Cape Verde -- where the World Food Programme is working to address urgent hunger needs and improve the lives of people struggling to meet their daily nutritional requirements.
Below is a brief summary of WFP’s activities in each of these four nations:
29 July 2009
WFP is funded entirely through voluntary contributions, most of which come from governments. When we calculated the cost of feeding 108 million hungry people in 74 countries in 2009, we set a budget of US$6.7 billion. Taking into account forecasts and money already received, we now expect to end the year with US$3.7 billion.
14 July 2009
New Zealander Alastair Cook has been a WFP logistics officer since 2004, facing many challenging situations, including the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar. He says the toughest job he's faced so far was in Kenya, after the election violence had spread terror among WFP beneficiaries.
29 June 2009
As Kenya’s drought destroys pasture land, herder communities are feeling the brunt of the regional hunger crisis. Marcus Prior travelled to the northern Laikipia region to see the devastating effects of the drought on one community now receiving WFP support.
19 June 2009
WFP has for the first time bought food from small scale farmers in Kenya, acquiring food for drought-hit Kenyans elsewhere in the country while at the same time encouraging small farmers to think more about markets.
18 June 2009
Habib Omar is one of the 14.5 million refugees and displaced people worldwide relying on WFP for food. To mark World Refugee Day (June 20) we took a look at the life of Habib and other Somali refugees in the sprawling Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya.
- Food shortage crisis in Dadaab refugee camp Source: ABC News (Australia)
- Data drip: 'Smart' handpumps send signal that water has run out Source: The Guardian
- Kenya: Floods displace thousands, destroy crops Source: IRIN
- Insurance helps Kenya's herders protect against drought Source: CNN
- Mother Rescued From Slide Into Severe Malnutrition Source: Footcircles
- WFP South Sudan Crisis Regional Impact Situation Report #63, 03 September 2015
- Bamba Chakula - Vouchers for food assistance in Kenya’s refugee camps - June 2015
- Bamba Chakula - Vouchers for food assistance in Kenya’s refugee camps - May 2015
- Bamba Chakula - Vouchers for food assistance in Kenya’s refugee camps - April 2015
- 25 March 2015 Support Needed For School Meals In Kenya
- 20 February 2015 Royal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Supports Refugees In Kenya
- 23 October 2014 In Kenya Cash Is Boosting Food Security
- 16 October 2014 More Than Food: Boosting Education In Kenya