16 April 2008
WFP has warned that time is running out to avert looming food shortages and a potential humanitarian crisis in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) following confirmation of a critically low national harvest stemming in part from last year’s heavy August floods.
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
21 August 2007
WFP has announced that deliveries of emergency food assistance for victims of devastating floods in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) will begin immediately.
9 July 2007
A food security assessment prepared by WFP indicates that thousands of people recovering from devastating August floods in DPRK require immediate and continued humanitarian food assistance including nutritional support for children and other vulnerable persons in the heavily-flooded counties.
14 June 2007
WFP has welcomed an announcement of a critically needed contribution worth in excess of US$20 million by the Republic of Korea (RoK) to WFP’s food assistance to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), where a lack of funds has already forced the agency to cut back feeding programmes for schools and for at-risk infants and small children.
5 April 2007
WFP welcomes a US$300,000 contribution from Turkey, towards its operations in North Korea (DPRK) and Djibouti.
28 March 2007
WFP has announced that officials of the Government of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) had indicated that the country faced a shortfall of one million metric tons of food, and expressed a new openness to receiving increased food assistance from WFP.
5 November 2006
WFP set to resume aid distributions in the Democratic People\'s Republic of Korea (DPRK) within two weeks, having reached agreement with the government on new working arrangements after months of negotiation.
18 August 2006
North Korea has agreed to accept assistance from WFP for victims of recent floods in the country.
- UN Appeals for $98 Million for North Korea Needs Source: The New York Times
- WFP official thanks Russia for supplying flour to DPR Korea Source: TASS
- Concern as severe weather hits North Korean crops Source: Reuters
- North Korea Famine Not Imminent but Flood Impact Not Yet Clear: U.N. Source: The New York Times / Reuters
- North Korea floods: Death toll raised, WFP sends food aid Source: BBC News
- Quarterly Monitoring And Evaluation Bulletin (Q4 2013): "Nutrition Support Programme For Children And Women In DPRK"
- DPR Korea: Performance Assessment Of WFP's 'Nutrition Support To Women And Children' Programme
- Performance Assessment of WFP's operation in DPR Korea "Nutrition Support to Women and Children (PRRO 200114)
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea - FAO/WFP Crop and Food Security Assessment Mission, November 2013