24 November 2009
With a few weeks left before the end of this year’s planting season, UN officials have raised concerns over the lack of funds to help drought-hit farmers and herders in northeastern Syria. (..) The World Food Programme (WFP) shares similar concerns. “WFP has received $2.2 million only out of $22 million needed. This amount is barely sufficient to start the first distribution in December which should cover at least two months of entitlements [December and January],” Silvana Giuffrida, WFP deputy country director, told IRIN.
2 September 2009
On a small triangle of dirt, wedged between two roads half-an-hour’s drive east from central Damascus, is a squalid encampment, home to some 50 people. (..) Syria has drawn on international aid to help mitigate the effects of the drought. The World Food Programme has been handing out emergency packages to try to prevent burgeoning malnutrition rates and stem the flow of rural to urban migration. A total of 200,000 people, mainly farming families, are receiving its assistance.
21 July 2009
Malnutrition rates in Syria’s northeast have reached alarming heights, international aid agencies have warned. The dry northeast region of Syria is plagued with malnutrition levels that are one and a half times higher than in the rest of the country, according to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). (..) According to a 2008 World Food Program report, the rising price of food is having a “catastrophic effect” on Syria’s economy, and is exasperating the already insufficient food resources left after the drought.
- Food rations distributed to besieged Damascus areas Source: Global Post/ AFP
- U.N. Orders Both Sides in Syria to Allow Humanitarian Aid Source: The New York Times
- Harper offers new aid in Jordan, but sees no end to flow of Syrian refugees Source: The Globe and Mail
- Iran ready to help UN send aid to Syrian people Source: Press TV
- In pictures: In Syria, delivering relief among the chaos is a tall order Source: The Global and Mail
- 13 February 2014 Central African Republic: Airlifts Deliver Critical Food Assistance
- 13 February 2014 WFP Food Distribution In Homs (For The Media)
- 12 February 2014 Syria: Aid Convoys Bring Relief To Besieged Old City of Homs