27 July 2012
HARARE – A new report on food needs in Zimbabwe says that nearly one in five rural people in the country – an estimated 1.6 million people – are likely to need food assistance during the peak of the coming “hunger season.” The number of people in need is 60 percent higher than the one million who needed food assistance during the last lean season.
28 May 2012
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) signed a landmark agreement in Botswana on 25 May 2012 to work together to fight food insecurity in the 15 member countries of the SADC region of southern Africa.
21 November 2011
HARARE More than one million people in Zimbabwe will be unable to meet their food needs during the lean season between now and March, in spite of improvements in the food security situation in recent years.
10 August 2010
ROME – Although food security in Zimbabwe improved significantly following government efforts and a US$70 million international assistance programme providing farmers with subsidized inputs, the country still needs agricultural and food assistance next year for some 1.68 million people.
25 June 2009
10 September 2008
With more than five million Zimbabweans facing severe food shortages, WFP today appealed for US$140 million to provide vital relief rations over the next six months. Without additional contributions, stocks will run out in January .
16 October 2007
FAO has called for a renewed commitment to guarantee the right to food for the world's hundreds of millions of hungry people.
16 October 2007
Read UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon message to mark World Food Day, which this year promotes the Right to Food.
2 September 2007
Floods across southern Africa are wreaking havoc for tens of thousands of people caught by rising water that has washed away crops, homes and claimed the lives of dozens of people, WFP has said.
28 August 2007
WFP has bought more than two million tons of food on local markets in Southern Africa in the last five years – the equivalent of providing 12 million hungry people with a full food basket for an entire year.
- Zimbabwe: WFP Director Appeals for Funding Source: The Herald (Zimbabwe)
- Africa food crisis: UK pledges £35m to Malawi and Zimbabwe Source: BBC News
- 1.4 Million Zimbabweans Receiving WFP Food Aid Source: VOA News
- Grim food security outlook for Zimbabwe Source: IRIN News
- More than 1.5 million Zimbabweans need food: WFP Source: UN Radio
- 20 December 2013 Hungry Months Ahead in Zimbabwe
- 27 September 2013 One Family's Struggle After Poor Harvest In Zimbabwe
- 2 August 2013 Zimbabwe: Helping People Help Themselves
- 12 April 2013 Zimbabwe Food for Assets - Part Two