It is an integral part of WFP’s Evaluation Policy 2016-2021 and has two objectives:
- To improve the credibility and utility of evaluations
- To facilitate lessons learning from evaluations across WFP
CEQAS was developed using the knowledge of three major evaluation networks:
- United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG)
- Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance (ALNAP)
- Evaluation Net of the OECD/DAC
It incorporated common practice among evaluation practitioners. These standards and practices were adapted to WFP's context.
CEQAS provides guidance on:
- Each step in the evaluation process, to ensure transparency and a systematic way of working across evaluation teams
- The structure of evaluation reports, to ensure comprehensive coverage of the evaluation subject, and systematic, comparable reporting
- Expected quality standards, including criteria for quality assurance
The guidance materials on Impact Evaluations are currently under revision.