Welcome to the World Food Programme's (WFP) new recipe series. Explore the culinary treasures and cooking abilities of refugees who benefit from WFP's cash and vouchers, an initiative that allows individuals to buy the food they need to cook their traditional dishes.
Download the recipe!
Looking for more recipes? Visit our VoucherChef page
1) Crack pistachios and place the nuts in a bowl.
2) Add 1.5 liters of cold water on top of ½ kg of white rice and add 1 table spoon of salt.
3) Place 2 table spoons of butter in a saucepan and add half of the ground beef (about 175 grams), the green peas and half a table spoon of allspice.
4) Cook it for 5-7 minutes and keep stirring regularly.
5) Melt 2 table spoons of butter in another large pan and add of the rest of the ground beef.
6) Cook it for 5-7 minutes, add green peas.
7) Rinse the rice and add it to the pan.
8) Add 3 liters of boiled water on top of all ingredients.
9) Close the lid and let it soak the water for 10 minutes.
10) Oil the cooking tray.
11) Lay half of the yufka bread in a bowl and add the grean peas and rice mix.
12) Add a table spoonful of pistachios.
13) Fold the sides.
14) Turn it upside down and place it in the cooking tray.
15) Cook in the oven for 10 minutes and serve with ayran (mix of yoghurt, water and salt).
Ouzi is a meal Syrians serve to their guests during special occasions. You can also put the stuffing on a plate and place roasted chopped meat on top of it. This is the way that is served at weddings.
Cash And Vouchers
WFP delivers hundreds of thousands of tons of food each year, but, increasingly, we give hungry people cash or vouchers to buy food for themselves. Read More