Operation ID: HT01
T-ICSP approved in August 2017
Revision 01 approved by EB June 2018 Session
Revision 04 approved by the CD in May 2019
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas and has one of the highest levels of food insecurity in the world; more than half of its total population is chronically undernourished. Poverty is profound and multi-dimensional, underlying drivers include frequent natural disasters and political crises.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) will maintain its humanitarian assistance capacity while continuing to provide institutional and policy support to the Government and sharpening its focus on building social protection and resilience platforms with a view to achieving zero hunger.
- The Transitional Interim Country Strategic Plan (T-ICSP) is scheduled to cover the period of January to June 2018.
- WFP will support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2 and 17 through the following five strategic outcomes based on its Strategic Results for access to food, smallholder productivity and capacity strengthening:
- Households in affected areas have access to sufficient and adequate food to meet their basic food and nutrition needs after a shock.
- Nutritionally vulnerable households in areas with a high prevalence of chronic food insecurity have access to nutritious food during the lean season.
- Pre-primary and primary school-aged children have adequate access to nutritious food all year long.
- Food insecure vulnerable smallholders have more resilient livelihoods to meet their food security and nutrition needs throughout the year.
- Governmental institutions and other organizations at national and local levels have enhanced capacities to address food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable populations by 2030.
- WFP has been working in Haiti since 1969. I’ts activities focus on long-term support of the Government to achieve sustainable safety nets, end chronic malnutrition and enhance government emergency preparedness and response capacity. Concurrently, WFP has been implementing recovery operations to support communities who have been affected by natural disasters; in 2016 this included responses to the prolonged drought and hurricane Matthew.