The World Food Programme (WFP) is always looking to collaborate with NGOs that share our philosophy and goals, from organizations skilled in distribution, monitoring or early warning activities to those working in food-security assessments, advocacy for food and nutrition-related issues, or local coordination of food-security activities.
Working together ensures that our efforts are not duplicated and that we use our resources in a complementary way. By speaking with a common voice, we can be better advocates for the communities we serve.
How we partner with NGOs
Depending on the type of partnership arrangement, NGOs partnering with WFP fall into four main categories:
- Capability partners – support the design and implementation of programmes and operations
- Resource partners – provide human, financial and technical resources
- Knowledge partners – contribute information, evaluation and analysis
- Advocacy partners – support advocacy for Zero Hunger
Field Level Agreement (FLA)
A Field-Level Agreement (FLA) is the main agreement used in all types of NGO partnership arrangements. It is used in all circumstances where NGOs handle WFP resources or implement activities on WFP's behalf. An FLA promotes global consistency in the partnership cycle and gives both parties the assurance that their interests are protected by law.
From January 2021 a new FLA template and support materials will be available on this page.
Read more about WFP’s Integrated Road Map and its Country Strategy Plans: WFP Country Strategic Plans - A Guide for NGOs.
The general conditions and all annexes constitute a Field Level Agreement between WFP and the NGO partner.
Four sets of Special Conditions are provided to regulate activities related to different tools or modalities of assistance:
- Annex 1-A: Special conditions for food distribution and related activities (English I French I Spanish I Arabic)
- Annex 1-B: Special conditions for cash distribution activities (English I French I Spanish I Arabic)
- Annex 1-C: Special conditions for vouchers monetization activities(English I French I Spanish I Arabic)
- Annex 1-D: Special conditions for implementation and monitoring of cash and vouchers activities (English I French I Spanish I Arabic)
The revised FLA budget template has been introduced in March 2017 on the basis of the new cost structure under the Country Portfolio Budget. It is used to calculate payments to NGO partners as part of a Field Level Agreement.
Emergency Field Level Agreement (e-FLA)
The added value of working with NGOs is most evident in large-scale emergencies. In order to provide immediate assistance to those in need, engaging with and contracting available NGO partners is a top priority. To facilitate the fastest possible response, the Emergency FLA format has been developed.
On the activation of a WFP Level-3 or Level-2 sudden-onset emergency, the e-FLA may be used for a maximum period of three months.
Download the documents:
- Emergency FLA: Main Agreement and Plan of Operations (Annex 3)
- Emergency FLA: Budget template (Annex 4)
- Emergency FLA: Annex 1 - General Conditions
- Special Conditions
- Emergency FLA: Guidance for Use
- Annex 5A: Letter of Authorisation
- Annex 5B: Addendum